Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My One Day at Home

I finally made it home, after 20 days in the hospital and 2 days staying with my friends Ellen and Lenny, they provided a wonderful halfway house. Actually it was good not to be alone on my first days at home. Now I've spent about 20 hours at my apartment, so happy to be here. I had my best night's sleep in 3 weeks, only woke up about twice (unlike the other night, when I was getting up 3 times every hour, not exactly conducive to a good night's sleep.

The bad news is that I'm heading back to the hospital today and told to be ready to stay. I know they want to check my gall bladder infection, still have a bag, with a tube draining bile, emptying it a few times a day.
I know everybody means well when they say be patient, but how much can a person endure? I was so looking forward to coming home and had been promised that I could stay for a week or two, at least have a semblance of normal life. Now that's been taken away.

Actually I'm feeling good, walking up to half a mile, not at my usual speed, but it feels good to feel fresh air. It's the simplest things I miss. In a few minutes I will eat a poached egg, I have been longing for a real egg for over 3 weeks. Don't get me started on doing without chocolate and cheese for all this time. I'm on a strict low-fat diet because of the gall bladder infection, doctors keep worrying about nausea, but I've had none. I kept begging at the hospital for solid food, not just on a whim, but because I felt that's what I needed to regain my strength, then I got to say I told you so.

Thanks to everybody following this pitiful saga, it feels good to unburden myself, I'm a very verbal person, you can see I'm holding nothing back, and I think it's good therapy for me.

I hope everybody reading this is healthy, enjoy it while it lasts, I thought I'd be healthy for 100 years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Larry,
I'm glad you got home and it stinks that you have to go back to the hospital. Hopefully you won't have to stay. Keep us posted if you can. Hang in there. -Jenn (long-time friend of Paula's)

Anonymous said...

Hey Larry,
Not a pitiful saga. Yours is a courageous saga. You rock!!
A poached egg is a glorious feast - the ultimate in comfort food.
Take care. We're thinking of you. Lindley