Sunday, January 6, 2008

back in the ICU

This is Paula, posting for my uncle. I've published the draft he wrote a few days ago, and you can read it for yourselves; unfortunately things didn't work out as he'd hoped. After a couple of days of real food, he developed an infection (they're fairly sure it was because of the operation). They moved him into the ICU because of his fever and because he was a bit groggy, not alert as he had been. So now he's being being carefully monitored, not allowed to even drink water - all he can do is use a swab to moisten his lips. His renal function got worse for a few days; it's not where it should be but at least has stabilzed; I spoke to his doctor and she  said it was probably from the shock of the surgery. They'll keep him in the ICU for another day or two, then put him back on the floor.  He's still feverish and it sounds like time is going slowly because he can't really concentrate well enough to want to read; however, he's got his cell phone there and would appreciate calls. He is allowed to have visitors, and would appreciate an in-person visit even more, for those of you in the area.

4 comments:

Making Up Numbers said...

Larry, I am so sorry to hear you are enduring this. Although I have never experienced anything like this, I do know what it is like to be frustrated with medical care. Physicians and surgeons are all too human. I do hope their collective wisdom, along with your strength and prayers of those who care about you, will see you through this painful ordeal. Regards, Rich

Anonymous said...

hya,

it must be rotten no to be able to go out and resume your own life, hope your strength will return enough so you can go home soon.
I am sorry but Amsterdam is a bit to far to come and visit you.

Rowena

Anonymous said...

There's nothing so frustrating as a setback of this kind after getting the mobility and freedom of the week before. Keep pushing (within reason) and remember that getting your strength back is job 1.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Larry,

I'm another friend of Paula's from an online group. I met her a couple of years ago when I was travelling 'round the world.

Paula rows, my sister rows (they've met) and as of last year, I've started rowing as well - I am not very good

I'm sorry you are going through a tough patch after the surgery.

Please know that I am another person who is thinking of you, your family and friends at this time. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Best wishes, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers and check back with your blog often.

Cheers, Lindley, writing you from Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada.