Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year, or so far, so good

Last night I went to sleep at 10:30 p.m., awoke in the New Year and counted that as progress. Now if I can make it through to 2009, I may even see a new neighbor in the White House. I had a bad night, because of a nurse who was opposed to pain management, and said, very persuasively, that I wouldn't start to heal if I pressed the button for medication even once (never mind that it's programmed to be pushed 9 times an hour, and I never use it more than once in 2 hours). Anyway, today I found doctors and nurses who confirmed my opinion that she was full of nonsense.

I'm making progress in getting rid of gas, I may even get more than ice chips for dinner. That's all I've had since last Thursday. The next step up is clear liquids, broth, juice and popsicles, not exciting for some, maybe, but try being on a diet of sips of water and ice chips for days on end. Anything sounds good compared to that. After that, it's on to soft foods, then real food, maybe for my last meal here. I may get out in 2 more days, but I'm not counting on that, I know how things change.

I sincerely hope everybody reading this has a happy, healthy New Year.

7 comments:

Paula Berman said...

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Anonymous said...

Oy, the little stoic nurses! Always so cavalier about others' pain. I had one when I was in labor with my elder son. She kept telling me it didn't hurt and to stop being a whiner. Excuse me? A 10.5 lb baby coming out didn't hurt? Sheesh.

Hope you get some yummies today! Good deal on being up and around. That post-op gas is brutal, walking does help but it's tough. Well done. ~LA

Alex Jay said...

Considering the nurses we met when we visited, that's surprising as hell.

Here's hoping that you will very soon be back on the road to gourmanderie.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I came over here from Paula's. I have to say that I really identified with your steps of food consumption.

When my mom had surgery (ovarian cancer), her biggest goal in life was to have "bowel sounds" -- once she could pass some gas, she could get out of what we referred to as The Joint.

Sometimes, you gotta have some humor in these situations. Hang in there and I hope you get some real food soon!

Anonymous said...

Larry - You don't know me, but my Uncle is battling cancer himself (second time around), and insists that the biggest single contributor to his health is a positive attitude. Second is a strong support group.

Seems as if you've got both.

Anonymous said...

Larry,

You do not know me but I am in a yahoo group with Paula (Piffle)...you sound like you have a great attitude and a sense of humour. Lovely!

I am a survivor of cancer myself, and I wish you the best that is possible always, whatever your outcome.

My cancer was small and I was not in your shoes, but I have a friend that held my hand throughout my treatment. He had also been through cancer. He had been told that his 4 kinds of cancer were not survivable. After telling him this, they also then put him on experimental chemo. That was 25 years ago and he's still here. So 'tis possible.

I hand you on the two pieces of advice that he gave me:

Firstly, stick a list on your fridge with the names of who aren't "supposed" to be here to look at in the dark times. (Medical science doesn't even really know what it can or can't do nowadays it seems. My list started with his name and had grown to 14 before I finished chemo 3 months later.)

The second? Mark Twain said "Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it gets you nowhere." So make a second list for what your friends and family can do for you to give them something to do besides worry.

Again, all the best is wished for you. Courage.

Leslie

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, may you eat the most delicious popsicles in the times that is all you're supposed to eat!
Rowena (met Paula on Piffle and Livejournal)